: Episode 599 – Andy Schreiber joins Vinnie Tortorich on this Wednesday edition of the Angriest Trainer podcast to discuss peak and optimal heart rate, and for night workers, when is the best time to work out.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR
ANDY THE CELEBRITY
- Andy is starting to feel like a bit of a celebrity
- People who call with help for PVC are often shocked and happy that they get to talk to Andy on the phone and such!
- People recognize Vinnie from the book or from Adam Carolla sometimes now
- Vinnie doesn’t like to take credit, but is always flattered
- People recognize Vinnie even at races
PEAK AND OPTIMAL HEART RATE
- Vinnie’s peak heart rate is in the 180s at his age and fitness
- He likes to train and race in Zone Two (that is optimal)
- How to calculate YOUR Zone Two heart rate: 180 – your age
- That being said, if you are very fit you can raise it a few (5-7)
- Between 70-79% of your max heart rate is your Zone Two
- This calculation is efficient enough and free and easy!
BEST TIME TO WORK OUT
- When should night shift workers work?
- Before or after work
- Depends on WHAT you are doing work-wise
- Try both ways and see which you have more energy when doing
- What is important for night workers is maintaining energy