Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.: Episode 1111 – Dr. Carrie Diulus, a vegan doctor, joins Vinnie today to discuss her work as a spine surgeon, low carb veganism, managing type 1 diabetes, and more on this Friday show!
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
- Dr. Carrie is a orthopedic spine surgeon
- However, she takes a holistic approach
- Doesn’t just operate and be done with patients
- She advises them on healthy lifestyles, how to stay healthy, keep inflammation down, etc.
- Arthritis and other spinal issues can be metabolic diseases (when they result from diet)
- Like diabetes of the spine
- Sports and adult degenerative practice primarily
- She is herself a Type 1 diabetic
- Uses ketogenic veganism and insulin management tactice to keep it under control
- A duathlete
- Hurt herself on a treadmill, helped her get into orthopedic work
- She never really liked meat
- Her mom also was vegan, but now eats meat and is essentially NSNG
LOW CARB VEGANISM
- Dr. Carrie is a rare vegan doctor who does believe in the benefits of a low carb diet
- Low carb veganism is totally possible!!!
- This is how Dr. Diulus found her edge before she crossed a line too far one way or the other
- Avoid inflammatory food with low carbs
- When Carrie did CICO and plant-based food, she lost a lot of her hair
- She initially reintroduced both meat and was eating low carb and her hair was back and she was healthy again
- Now, she has incorporated low-carb into her veganism and it works great for her! Especially managing her Type 1
- ADA didn’t work so she went back to low-carb
- Body burning ketones as fuel – this is great!
- Incredibly important inflammatory