Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Welcome to the Friday edition of the Angriest Trainer podcast with Vinnie Tortorich. Today, Vinnie goes one on one with Sigi Caron and they discuss medical research and drug production, and living in ketosis.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
WHO IS SIGI?
- She works in clinical research and drug development
- Regenerative medicine
- Vinnie trains both Sigi and her husband, who are both in incredible shape!
- She and her family are on a ketogenic diet because they researched it and decided it was a healthy choice
WHAT DOES SHE DO?
- Someone will come to her with a drug / technological idea
- She works with one person / small company at a time
- Comes in from the beginning or just jumps in at the end
- Engineers and doctors on her team
COST / MEANS OF PRODUCTION
- Producing these drugs justifies their price tags
- So many studies and time put into this
- Animal studies are expensive and take time
- Regulations require animal testing
- People are often ignorant of the process
- Only 1/15 drugs generally make it
- 100mil+ invested into each drug generally
- Sigi’s husband was on statens, but was taken off of them and is now healthier than ever
- Statens can cause muscles to bunch up
- Negative side effects
- Statens were “good” when we were afraid of cholesterol
- Now that we realize cholesterol isn’t ‘glue in our arteries’, statens have little to no relevance anymore
- Bro-Science just like the need for everyone to drink 8 glasses of water today
- Sigi’s family used to think that low-fat, whole grain, and low-meat diet was healthiest
- After doing a lot of cardiovascular research, she saw that patients who ate toast had giant glucose spikes
- She talked to a doctor who worked on the food pyramid — he walked out because he did not believe that grain was good
- Transitioned into fully ketogenic diet after learning this
- Such a diet helped her husband qualify for Boston marathon and run a 3:25
- Not eating grains can rid elephantiasis from
- The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
- Difficult to go NSNG if family is not supportive
- Must be careful of eating enough in ketosis
- She will eat ~3000 calories a day but that’s okay due to low carbs and exercise