Welcome to the Friday edition of the Angriest Trainer where Vinnie goes one-on-one with the great Luke Tyburski. Luke Tyburski, an Australian currently residing in London, is an ultra-athlete and triathlete former soccer player and trainer. He has done a number of ultras, including the Mount Everest Ultra Marathon, Marathon de Sables, Double Ironmans, and many more. http://luketyburski.com
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
FOR THE YOUNG TRAINER
- Very little social life– you are working when others are free
- Gym fees for gym trainers, and equipment fees for independent trainers
- may get less than 50% of what you’re actually paid
- Becoming a trainer is more than just taking a 3 month course
- education never stops
- Trainers have to be masters at all types of training — discussed in Fitness Confidential
TRAINERS ON TV
- Vinnie has been a filler on a morning “yuck – yuck” show
- Trainers are generally not on TV — TV does not get you anywhere
- Radio is much better!
LUKE’S ULTIMATE TRIATHALON
- Self-created event over 1300 miles between Morocco to Monaco
- Swimming Gibraltar Strait (13 mi), cycle Southeast Coast of Spain (800 mi), run to Monaco (300 mi) all in 12 days!
- Open-water swim with a boat shadowing you across as it is an incredibly busy, boat-filled strait with rough seas and strong currents
- There will be a bike/run crew, and a film crew, check out his website for a trailer!
TIME FRAME ON THIS
▪Luke wanted to push himself as an adventurer
- Luke has to swim all these miles (6-8hrs), then bike 75 miles in first day
- Will cycle number of miles depending upon terrain
- 215 mi, then 215 mi, then 200 mi, then 180 mi
- Real food purified into liquid form
- Watered down avocados, cinnamon, turmeric
- High-fat fueling approach
- He will have carbs like bananas if sprinting is required, but more fat than carbs
- Chia seeds also make good gels
- People will throw up from too much Gu chomps, Gatorade, etc.
- Fat is good!
- Sherpas will not use artificial products like gels and such
- world class athletes
- Diet consisting of lots of rice and fattening meat
- Luke met these guys while doing a marathon from the base camp of Mt. Everest