Joe Kurmaskie, the Metal Cowboy, speaks with Vinnie Tortorich about writing books about family and adventure, and riding bicycles all over the country and the world on this Friday edition of the Angriest Trainer podcast.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
WHO IS THE METAL COWBOY?
- Joe Kurmaskie from Portland, Oregon
- Written for main magazines, NY Times, etc, 7 books
- Friends with Cheryl Strayed
- Writing is about doing good work and pushing it — publishers won’t help as much as fans and readers
- Writes fiction & nonfiction and wonderful books, often having to do with cycling
- Cycles around the world
- Writes books around cycling
- Dubbed “Metal Cowboy” by blind farmer who saw the bicycle as his steed and the asphalt as his path
- Pulled family across Canada off the back of his bike
- Cycles with family
- Chased by an elephant in Zimbabwe — link here!
- Suffers from genetic hemachromatosis- biggest treatable killer
- On coroner reports, shows up as heart attack, cancer, liver failure, etc.
- Check out his books here
- Check out his website here