Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.: Episode 1326 – LCHF cardiologist Dr. Bret Scher joins Vinnie for a second appearance on the Friday show, and the two talk calcium score tests, healthy lifestyles for healthy hearts, the importance of sleep, ghrelin and leptin, the “Mediterranean Diet” and more!
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
DR. BRET SCHER
- Dr. Scher is an awesome cardiologist
- Check out his first appearance on the podcast here
- He also has a big role in the Fat Doc
- Tries to help people over Twitter, over e-mail, and taking over their care in person
- He advises a low-carb, high-fat diet for best heart health
- Great book available!
- Recommends particular calcium score test to see what is really going on with your cholesterol
- Tells you more than just LDL
- There are general guidelines, but it’s also age-related and other risk factor-related
- Can help show you whether or not a statin would actually help
- This is for people who are eating high carb, though
- Unsure how it would affect people eating a healthy, low carb diet
- You can reverse risk factors by primarily cutting out sugar and grains
- Still important to look at mental health, sleep, exercise, stress, skin, etc.
- Not quite as simple as just going low-carb, though it’s an amazing step and a great place to start
- Being exhausted is bad for your health
- Messes with your hormones, your cravings (ghrelin and leptin levels)
- Not grazing is important
- Mediterranean diet – who knows what that means?
- Most important part is eating real food
- But the studies around it tend to be BS