Episode 512 – Karen Parrott joins Vinnie Tortorich on this Saturday listener’s question Angriest Trainer podcast and asks questions about eating out and knowing genetic risk.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR
- Came to the inaugural NSNG meet up
- From Carlsbad, CA, just 100 miles away from LA
- Meet up was just a bunch of people wanting to know more about the lifestyle
- Went out to eat, meditated, worked out with Vinnie
- Karen highly recommends!
- Karen used to be overweight, but has lost 70 lbs and kept it off!
- In ~2002, had a nutritionist tell her grains and sugar were hurting her
DOES KNOWING ONE’S GENETICS HELP WITH DISEASE RISK?
- Knowing can be dangerous because then you have a big excuse not to try
- For example, if you know you have obesity genes in your family, you will just say you’re predisposed and can’t help it, and eat junk food!
WHAT ARE SOME OF VINNIE’S FAVORITE THINGS TO EAT OUT?
- Vinnie and Serena eat at restaurants a lot now that Tallulah is at college
- Lunch is always out and now dinner is always out
- They go to nicer restaurants because they get better food
- Vinnie loves Marmalade Cafe because he gets good fish, or a bun-less hamburger
- Loves broccoli!
- Hipster-type gastro-pubs are really big but have NSNG options
- Goes to Chipotle, gets a bowl without rice and without corn
- Chicken/beef, beans, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, salsa, guac
- This is a good fast food option
- The Counter is also very good
- Made-to-order burgers are a good way to go (just don’t get a bun!)
- If you can’t eat gluten, make sure that your vegetables at restaurants aren’t cooked in pasta water or anything like that