Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Vinnie and Annie chat about lots ‘o stuff in today’s podcast. “Is Ghee dairy free…and what is ghee? More great information about training…remember carbo-loading before a race…what were we thinking? Vinnie’s Newsletter and Listener Questions. Oh, and Anna ran 5 miles that morning!
Please Support Our Sponsors
Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Ghee has dairy in it but it is one step beyond clarified butter
- The fat found in dairy is in ghee
- But unlike butter, you can leave it out on the counter
- Can use for cooking and coffee
Fun Facts About Training
- People say to Vinnie, “Just tell me what to do!”
- Just get out and run…you don’t always need to know distance or use special gear.
- Mary Lindahl, a Chi Running instructor in Colorado and one of the first women to run the Boston Marathon, came across the finish line 3 years ago in a tank top and worn-out running shoes
- When you’ve had a lifetime of training and done it a lot, you get back to basics
How To Run On Hills
- You need to practice on hills!
- Eddy Merckx, one of the world’s greatest cyclist says “Some people buy upgrades, some people ride upgrades”
- And to stay in Zone 2, sometimes you need to walk them
- When Serena started, she noticed Shannon Griefer legendary runner in the endurance world…walked hills
- Shannon is a real hero…she is still running against all odds…Vinnie did a podcast with her (Episode 315)
- At race time, you can forget about Zone 2 and race away
- In Vinnie’s Newsletter, he talks about how much sugar we really need…which turns out to be 3/4 tsp for a healthy body..that you can get from healthy veggies and low-glycemic fruits
- We used to carbo-load the day before a race…we know better now
- If you are fat adapted, you can run thru the stored sugar and come to a hill and take in a “sugar trickle”
- Don’t become carb-phobic. There is a difference between storing sugar and using sugar for instant energy
- Listener Sarah who is new to the group asks if she should eat fat to offset the sugar craving
- Use cream and berries, keep getting your body to fat adapt and after a while the cravings go away