Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Vinnie is very excited about today’s guest … he actually confesses to have fallen in love with her when he met her. Mechelle Lewis Freeman is an Olympic sprinter. In the 2007 Pan American games, she was a double silver medalist. She was a member of the 2008 USA Olympic team. She attended the University of South Carolina on a full track scholarship. Vinnie and Mechelle discuss the politics of the Olympics, how colleges exploit athletes and the problem with drug use in sports.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
BEING AN OLYMPIC ATHLETE
- You are considered an amateur. Not a professional league
- Running is a full-time job
- Athletes run for prize money and consistent money through sponsors
- The IOC (International Olympic Committee) makes huge amounts of money…why don’t athletes?
COLLEGES EXPLOIT PLAYERS
- Why stay in school? There’s no money.
- Athletes want to go pro
- Athletes pushing to get paid for what they bring to college
- Spectators pay to be there
- Need to come up with a better system
OLYMPICS AND DOPING
- Athletes have to live with the cloud of doping issues
- Athletes used to be one step ahead of law…now more and more are being caught
- Officials are cracking down on athletes who use drugs
- They are also cracking down on anyone who can influence athletes to use drugs
- There’s pressure to use them, to keep up
- Only the top athletes get paid the big money
- Athletes feel pressure to be the best
- Especially if that pressure comes from their coach