: Episode 736 – Listener and repeat-guest Aaron joins Vinnie to talk about the food industry and his interesting experience visiting a food processing plant during a masters degree class.
(1:45) Had his colon removed which makes nutrition more difficult
FOOD PROCESSING PLANT
(2:30) – Working on 2 masters degrees
- Went to a food industry manufacturing plant as part of one of his classes
- Company was packaging a frozen desert
- Funny YouTube video with Will Ferrell dressed up as Little Debbie on Jimmy Fallon
- Fruit bar with strawberries with tons of other things added to it
- So many preservatives that the shelf life is a year and a half. Also red dye and coloring.
- The plant had a 3000 gallon tank of fructose because they added sweetener
- Company seemed more concerned with product appearance and sweetness than healthiness
FOOD INDUSTRY GOAL: ADDICTION
(9:30) – Vinnie recommends Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss
- Author worked in the food industry
- Food companies are competing for your stomach space and design the fruits to be as pleasing and addictive as possible.
- High fructose corn syrup is the easiest way to get people to keep eating
High fructose corn syrup is the easiest way to get people to keep eating. Once your brain gets that signal, good effing luck – Vinnie Tortorich
NOT ADDICTION BUT HORMONES
(13:45) – We think we are addicted to food, but we’re really not. It’s our hormones telling us to keep eating.
- After you’ve eaten an entire bag of Doritos, you still want more.
- Same with eating Easter candy
- If you eat a large state and someone brought out another, you wouldn’t want it
(21:00) – At the end of the day, the food industry is all about making more money for investors rather than the health of their customers
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS:
Villa Cappelli Olive Oil – Use promo code “VINNIE”
Vinnie’s Big Fat Show at Flapper’s in Burbank, CA, featuring Gina Grad from 100.3 The Sound and the Adam Carolla show and podcaster Chris Laxamana